DoD's Innovative Readiness Training (IRT) Program
MILITARY INVOLVEMENT: Coastal America works with the Department of Defense to link military mission and training requirements with coastal restoration needs. The purpose of the Civil-Military programs is to improve military readiness while simultaneously providing quality services to communities throughout America. When feasible, the military contributes to Coastal America projects as part of their training or mission requirements. These programs are in keeping with a long military tradition, leveraging training to benefit both units and their home communities.
As a result, the military accomplishes essential exercises while performing valuable environmental project work in their communities. The Coastal America Partnership also supports and facilitates environmental protection and restoration on DoD lands by leveraging the tools, initiatives and partners in Coastal America’s Regional Implementation Teams.
IRT Application Materials for Applicants Seeking Assistace from the Military
*Note: All IRT submissions for projects needing supplemental training funds are due to OSD/RA no later than February 28 each fiscal year for the subsequent execution year.
Projects not meeting this deadline may be considered as "out of cycle" projects, but those projects will predominantly require a unit being able to fully fund a project without supplemental OSD/RA funding.
IRT Materials for Military Services
IRT Policy Memoranda
Military Services Expertise
While emplasizing training experiences for units in the Reserves, the IRT program facilitate community requests being supported by active and/or reseve military units
*Note that airlift requests for flights of opportunity, space available and training flights are not supported by the IRT program. For these types of unfunded airlift requests of personel, contact Will Nuckols at Coastal America for additional information. For unfunded cargo airlift requests, with the exception of a few federal agencies, cargo airlift requests are not being supported per a directive from Secretary Rumsfeld. Contact Will Nuckols at the Coastal America National Cordinating Office for more information.
- Air Force*
- Guard (National Guard (Army), Air National Guard (AF)*
- (US Coast Guard training projects are not currently supported by the IRT program. Contact Will Nuckols at the Coastal America National Coordinating Office for information about working with the USCG and their training programs)
For Federal Agencies with funding that are seeking flight support and citing the Economy Act as justification, see the following link:
Examples of Coastal America Projects with Military Success Stories
- Salvage of a Failed Tire Reef, Florida
- Recovery of Derelict Fishing Gear, Washington
- Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge Restoration, Rhode Island
- Mobile Bay, Delta Wetland Restoration, Alabama
- Seagrass Bed/Boating Damage Protection Project, Florida
- Navy Eelgrass Study, Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island
- Northern Right Whale Project and Early Warning System, Georgia and Florida
- Rains Mill Dam Removal, North Carolina
- East Machias Dam Removal, Maine
Military Innovative Readiness (IRT) Training Point of Contact
Coastal America Military Liaison and Project Coordinator
Other Related Programs